11.05.2010

A Fall Favorite--on Friday!!

There are so many things that I love about fall--the colors, the visible change in the landscape, the excitement of regular schedule and routine starting, the anticipation of what the school year will hold, the dull roar of farm machinery, the crispness of the air, and the motivation that I find once again to get back into my kitchen. 

Fall also brings to mind a couple of dishes that are family favorite and always on my list to make at least once as the leaves change.  I will share a few recipes over the next couple of days that are on this list.  First up today my grandma's Apple Crisp.  I have had bites of a few apple crisps in my day and hands down this is my absolute favorite. Of course, I may be biased, but go ahead try it. Maybe add a scoop (or two) of cinnamon ice cream. You will not be disappointed.  I guarantee it. 

Apple Crisp
8-10 medium to large apples, peeled & sliced
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup white sugar
1 Tbsp. flour
Mix and place in an 8x8 inch baking pan.  Add topping.
Topping:
1/2 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. quick-cooking oatmeal
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. butter or margarine (I use salted butter.)
1/8 tsp. salt (I skip this since I use the salted butter.)
1/8 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
Cut together with fork or pastry blender.  Place over apples.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes-one hour, or until apples are tender.
I do usually make a recipe and a half of the topping--just makes it that much better!  :)
Enjoy!

No comments: