6.23.2008

A Spoonful of Sugar

We have a huge rhubarb patch in our yard. I am not necessarily a fan of the plant/weed but have begun to acquire a tolerance of it. I actually do not totally turn up my nose at the mention of it now. And I rarely make gagging noises if it is served to me. I'm growing as a person, what can I say?

In light of said growth here's a favorite cobbler/rhubarb recipe. Further proving the theory that anything will become delicious if mixed with a spoonful (or 20) of sugar! Great on it's own, with some ice cream or my personal favorite-fresh whipped cream! Enjoy.

Rhubarb Cherry Cobbler
3 cups chopped rhubarb
1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter
Spread fruit and pie filling in a 9x13 baking pan. Sprinkle with sugar and butter. Cover with crust batter.

Crust:
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
Cream shortening and sugar in mixing bowl. Add egg and beat well. Combine flour and baking powder; add alternately with milk to creamed mixture. Pour over fruit. Bake at 350 for approximately 50 minutes.

2 comments:

Jules from "The Roost" said...

I agree sugar makes anything good! I will have to try this.....

Beachy Mimi said...

Thanks for the recipe! I think sugar makes nearly anything edible. I'll be trying this.