1.28.2008

The Complete Mommy Meltdown

It has been one of those days. Princess Pigtails has been a bit of a hand full for me today. My parents were here over the weekend and we had a great time. But it's Monday now and I'm tired. Princess Pigtails is adjusting to having just me to entertain her and in comparison to the whole complement of adults around this weekend--I'm boring. And I feel boring, so I can't really blame her.

Then at the end of lunch, I went to the kitchen (from the dining room where our table is) to get a cloth to wipe the peanut buttery hands of the precious Princess. I came back to the dining room to her "drawing circles" with her fork on the table. I can't say that I handled it very well. At all. I completely lost it. There were lots of tears and angry words and more tears. Did I mention circles in the finish on the table? With a fork?

Now that I have had time to reflect and calm down, I'm reminded of the characteristics of our Heavenly Father especially His patience with us--

"But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness. " Psalm 86:15 (emphasis mine)

The sinner in me is suddenly reminded of my sinful nature. My precious princess did not intentionally mar the table. She is only 2 years old. Yet my frustration and anger consumed me immediately. And unlike my gracious Savior, I was not quick to forgive.

Yet, despite my behavior this afternoon I am forgiven. My sins are cast away. Praise God. I have so much to learn as I seek to be more like Him. Thankfully He is patient and slow to anger.

And if you have any suggestions on how to treat the scratches on my table, please let me know.

No comments: