6.30.2009

Techy Tuesday

It's hard to believe that it is Tuesday again and time for me to get right to the Techy Tuesday highlight. This week's item is something I fought especially hard not to have. For some reason, I thought that it would be a complete nightmare. I don't know why. Seriously, I have no idea why I was so against it. I am totally rational like that.

This spring we, and by we--you know that I mean DH, painted our two side doors, which truly are our main doors) and changed out the hardware on both. You see, last fall we put in new screen/storm doors and the hardware on those was a brushed nickel. The existing hardware on the exterior door was brass. Certainly not my choice. It also helped that part of the dead bolt was starting to stick. I just couldn't stand it. And the doors needed to be painted. So, we painted the doors and put on new hardware. I gave into the whole electronic key pad and I am soooo happy. Again, why did I fight it so long? There are several different brands/types of keypads out there. The one that we selected is a Kwikset Smart Key. I love the way it looks and the super cool part is that you can easily rekey it yourself with their little tool. In fact DH rekeyed it upon installation so that the keys already on our key rings worked. (The old hardware was Kwikset as well.) Nice. Didn't even have to swap out keys.
Other features that I love:
  • It's beautiful. Beautiful.
  • I can lock it as I am leaving by just pushing the button. I don't have to fumble with keys while making sure the kids don't fall down the steps and juggling the diaper bag, my purse and whatever else I have in my hands. Quick. Easy. Push the button and I am on my way. So wishing that I would have had that while hauling that baby carrier/infant seat around. That would've made my life so much easier.
  • You can program it for a temporary code or rekey it instantly yourself so if there is contractor that is coming by or your neighbor is bringing in your mail while you are gone, you can give them access and then change the code or rekey it when they no longer need access.
  • The key pad is back lit with one touch so you can easily see it at night if you fail to leave the porch light on or if it is, ahem, burnt out. Not that I would know anything about that.
  • The interior has a little light that flashes red or green so you know immediately without even walking over to the door if it is locked or not.
  • Did I mention it's beautiful?
So, thank you, DH, for once again making my life easier. My apologies for not wanting a key pad earlier. I loovve it!

No comments: