10.07.2008

Works For Me Wednesday-Stain Removal

It's another Works For Me Wednesday. To be perfectly honest, I almost posted a "Works For Me Friday" last week because I was so excited to share my new tip for stain removal. I know I am a sad and pitiful woman!
This summer, we had the pleasure of being the recipients of some very delicious and very, very cute "baby" peaches from my grandfather's farm. "Baby" because they were quite possibly the tiniest peaches I have ever seen--think Clementine size. Anywhoo, I am getting off track. So, Princess Pigtails thought they were the best ever--one because Grandpa Great had grown them and two because they were "just her size". She ate nearly every one of them herself. Enter the problem. Peach juice on more shirts and jammy shirt than I care to admit. Not a little juice, mind you. Lots of juice, which equals lots of stains. I tried everything, pre-treating, bleach water, soaking in OxiClean. No luck.
Last week, my mom told me to try soaking the shirts in dissolved dishwasher crystals. No kidding. About a tablespoon or so of the dishwasher soap in some warm water and soak the shirts at least overnight--I left them about 36 hours. The stains are gone in their entirety. Which is amazing, because the one pajama shirt, for sure, had been treated, washed and dried probably half a dozen or more times since the initial staining! Lame thing to get excited about, but I just could not believe it! I'm excited to tackle a few of those baby food stained bibs and shirt!

For more Works for Me Wednesday tips head on over and see Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer. If you need me, I'll be in the laundry room...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You're an absolute angel. Toot's goes to daycare and comes home every day with a new stain, which I almost always have trouble shifting. It doesn't help that I usually wash the garment and then completely forget to check if the stain is gone before drying it.

Thanks for this.

Wanda said...

I'm an appreciate-er of your wise stain knowledge!!!

Thanks for the tip!

I spend an enormous time scrubbing and rewashing clothing items.

No lame-ness in this hot tip!

MiddleEarthMusician said...

I can't wait to try. I have shirt that has been stained treated about a dozen times after my daughter wore it once and I want to redeem it so badly!

Searching For Simplicity said...

I'm so excited about your tip too! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Isn't it amazing what we get excited about! This is a great tip! Thanks